Candle Shack Blended Container Wax is a Palm blend designed specifically for use in Glass & Container candles. Manufactured by Kerax, a leading UK wax refiner, it contains both Palm wax and Paraffin wax, combining the scent throw of a parrafin wax with the creamy appearance of palm. It has a low meltng point and sets up very quickly, making it an ideal wax for beginners.
This wax has excellent cold and hot scent throw and is very easy to work with. The wax contracts, so this wax usually requires a second pour, but the results are worth it, especially in terms of scent throw. Pour this wax at 50-60C and second pour at ~65-70C for best results. Blended container wax is delivered as wax beads.
This wax is very dense and requires a hot wick to establish a full melt pool. We would recommend Cotton Core wicks with this wax as follows:
80mm Melt Pool: N/A
75mm Melt Pool: 3/20/24
70mm Melt Pool: 3/18/24
65mm Melt Pool: 3/16/24
60mm Melt Pool: 3/14/24
55mm Melt Pool: 3/12/24
As ever, this is just a guide, as fragrance and dye can impact wick selection.
The below process is a very quick way of finding suitable wicks for your candles. We recommend you conduct a slab test for every different blend of wax and oil that you intent to use, before making any candles :)
1. Mix the wax and your chosen oil at the required loading (typically 7-10% fragrance)
2. Pour the mixture into a large baking tray and allow to cool fully
3. Remelt the surface so that it is flat and allow to settle for at least 24 hours
4. Poke holes at ~10cm intervals using a skewer, screwdriver or similar
5. Insert various wicks that you think may be suitable (we recommend trying as many as possible)
6. Trim and light wicks in a draft free room
7. Allow to burn for 3-4 hours, observing for clubbing, excessive smoke or flame height and wick posture
8. Extinguish wicks, allow to cool and record diameter of melt pools for each wick, along with any observations on posture/clubbing/flame height
9. Remove wicks and any residue from wax, then remelt surface and repeat steps 4-8 as required (you may need pliers to remove the wicks)
10. Once complete, the wax can be used to make candles of various sizes and conduct confirmatory container tests.
If done correctly, a slab test will provide you with a long list of wick options that will allow you to wick almost any size of container.
Slab testing will help you to identify candidate wicks for your candles, but you will still need to conduct tests in the actual container you intend on using. We call this container-specific burn testing.
We recommend that container specific burn testing be conducted in accordance with the following standards before putting candles up for sale...
EN 15493:2007 – 'Candles – specification for fire safety'
You may also wish to apply safety labels as outlined in the following standard...
These standards are available for purchase from The British Standards Institute and other bodies within Europe.
Posted by Erika on 12th Jan 2017
Great wax to use, says its a second pour wax - which is some cases it is. However, if you get it just right I have found that in SOME cases you only need to pour once :) Great company too. Highly recommended!! Thank you :)
Posted by Claire Lohan on 16th Nov 2016
This wax is great to work with, consistant results everytime. My order arrived very quickly and great value for money =)
Posted by Unknown on 27th Apr 2016
I love using this wax for my candles. Easy to use and suitable for all of my containers. Generally a great scent throw with the blend. Best of both worlds.
Posted by Storm-Janet Phillips on 1st Mar 2016
Brilliant wax, so versitile and hold the colour and scent perfectly. :)
Posted by Deborah Treloar on 24th Feb 2016
I've been using this wax for a few years now and it has given consistantly good results. Takes colour and throws scent very well.
Posted by sue on 25th Nov 2014
Makes lovely container candles, I find it easy to work with. The delivery came very quickly, this is the second time I've ordered it.
Posted by S Davies on 24th Apr 2014
This wax is very rich looking and has a lovely finish when set in containers. Have already ordered more of this product.
Posted by Unknown on 18th Feb 2014
Arrived very quickly and is exactly what I needed, melts well and makes good container candles.